Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advance Typography's Final Booklet Preview










This is my Final Project for my Advance Typography class. It's like a final "show off" for what we have learned during the semester. All the techniques and rules that we learned were required to be included into this 6" x 7", 16 pages booklet. Topic was opened.

Sometimes, it is better to have a topic given to us than having us to decide what we want. Unlike other classmates, I spent about a week to decide my topic, but it was hard to stay focus on it. New topics and ideas keep flowing into my mind. I almost wanted to change everything the night before it was due.

For this project, we have to use a display type, a san, and a serif. We also need to include a table or a graphic in someways. 8 images are needed with at least one handmade element. Also, we have to write our own 2,000 words essay for this booklet, and another 500 words for booklet 2 (learning summary and style guide). Besides all these design requirement, everything else is typographic elements.

My Topic is Hong Kong. I want people to see Hong Kong through my eyes, not some formal websites online. My other goal for this project was to break through my default style. I was too formal in style. So, I attempted to create a girly, crowded, active, and full of light environment.

But well, it looks better on the screen than the actual print. On the print, the side notes were too light, and the background was a bit too loud. My serif choice was awful. Didot wasn't the best choice for the middle size type, and putting them into a black box was a huge mistake because it lower the legibility. I should pay more attention on the paper choice, but I was running out of time. Also, I didn't style the type enough. I should have done better job than this.

However, considering the time I have spent on this project, I'm quite satisfy with the result. I only spent 2 days writing the essay, 1 day researching, and 2 full days (with no sleep) working on this final project. I have 4 papers and 2 finals going on at the same time).

Anyways, there is always room for improvement. Modifying and turning this booklet into a portfolio-stopping piece will be my goal for this Christmas. Updates will be followed.



No comments:

Post a Comment